Let’s face it! Gym’s these days have become terrible places to do workouts. With trainers behaving like nerdy salesmen, self-obsessed folks and intimidating dudes grunting the mirror, they look more like a commercial market.
However, if you miss being a part of this commercial place, your health and routine will suffer; Right? Wrong! There’s no rule that only gyms can build muscles. Training at home with minimal or no equipment can also get you in shape.
So, if you are not willing to spend your workout diving for dumbbells, these heart-pumping, at-home exercises can help you. From shoulders to legs, to chest and abs, these no-machine exercises will help you achieve balance, strength, and flexibility.
Affected areas: Back, Butt/Hips, Shoulder
- Lie on your stomach with your legs extended, ankles pointing away from your shins, palms facing each other and your arms reaching away from the body.
- Now, exhale while contracting your core muscles and abdominal and, raise your both legs a few inches from the floor. Simultaneously raise both arms a few inches from the floor keeping your head and torso in line.
- Hold the position and gently inhale. Now lower your legs and arms and hold for few seconds
- Repeat the process.
Affected Areas: Abs, Hips, Butt, Back, Quads and hamstrings
- Stand straight with both arms clasping behind the back. Now lift up the right knee to the hip level and balance on one leg.
- Squat slightly and bend forward from hips with back nearly parallel to the floor and right heel in a straight line to your back.
- Repeat the process and do at least 12 reps. Switch between both legs and do two sets.
Affected Areas: Arms, Back, Butt/Hips, Legs, Thighs, Calves and shins
- Lay on the mat with your feet joined together behind you. Now slowly bend forward with your palms flat on the mat and your shoulders slightly apart with fingers facing forward.
- Bring yourself to push-up position and stiff your torso by contracting your abdominal and core muscles.
- Exhale and shift your weight backward. Now slowly push your hips back and up by keeping your head straight.
- Repeat the steps to form an inverted-V.
- Inhale and return to the position, keeping the body straight and aligned.
Affected Area: Back, Biceps, Butt, Quads
- Stand straight with legs at a hip-width distance. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and bent elbows by 90 degrees.
- Extend arms toward floor and squat.
- Now stand up while lifting right knee in front of you to the hip height with the elbows bent back to the side.
- Repeat two sets of 10 reps by alternating sides.
Affected Area: Abs
- Lie on your back with knees bent, feet flat and heels slightly raised.
- Place both hands behind your head, squeeze shoulder blades and pull elbows back without arching your lower back.
- Now pull your ribcage toward pelvis while contracting abdominal and core muscles with your chin slightly toward chest.
- Hold the position after each curl for few seconds.
- Now gently put your lower back on the mat keeping your feet, low back, and tailbone in line.
Affected Area: Shoulder, chest, arms, Butt, Legs, Abs
- Bring your body in plank position with your palms and toes making balance and body forming a straight line.
- Now bend your knees to 90 degrees, lift up the right arm and rotate your body into the side plank position.
- Continue rotating on the left foot with the right knee bent, left leg straight and the right hand reaching behind you.
- Repeat the steps and do 5 to 10 reps. Switch side after each set.
Affected Areas: Abs, Back
- Lie on your stomach with both hands facing forward and positioned under your shoulders.
- Now extend your legs with toes pointing away from the body.
- Press your hips on the floor and pull your chest away from the ground. With this, you will feel stretch in your chest and abdominal region.
- Hold the position for few seconds and repeat the steps.
Note: Stop immediately if you feel any pain in the lower back.
Side Lying Hip Abduction:
Affected Area: Butt/ Hips
- Lie on one side with your legs extended straight away from the body. Hold your feet in the neutral position with the lower arm placed under your head and upper arm on the upper hip. Make sure your hips and shoulder should align vertically on the floor.
- Now gently raise the upper leg with your knee extended and foot in neutral position.
- Continue lifting leg until the hip begins to tilt upward.
- Repeat the process by switching legs.
Standing Calf Raise:
Affected Area: Legs, Calf, Shines
- Stand few inches away from the wall with your feet at a hip-width distance.
- Now extend the arms with your palms touching the wall.
- Lift your heels few inches above the floor without rotating the feet. Use your hands to support your body and hold the position for few seconds.
- Repeat the steps by switching between legs.
Affected Area: Chest and Triceps
- Sit on one edge of the bench or chair with palms on either side of hips.
- Straight you arm with the hips placed in the seating position.
- Now bend your knees so that they get aligned over ankles.
- Lower your hips toward the floor with the arms straight, and elbows bent to 90 degrees.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times
At-home exercises are simple, easy yet effective. Plus, they don’t need any elliptical trainer to manage the workout routines. However, if you still want to go an extra mile, you can rent exercise equipment to create gym environment in your living room.